Cardiff, the Capital City of Wales

Merry-go-round at Mermaid Quay

Cardiff Castle
After my little soiré night out with the ladies from work, I decided to take advantage of the long Easter weekend and head to Wales.  Cardiff is only 4 hours by train from Chichester and is the capital of Wales, so I bought my ticket and off I went.  I stayed at The Royal Hotel, right in the heart of City Centre.  It was a great hotel and I recommend it to anyone heading out to Cardiff!  Just a short walk from the train station, I checked in and headed off to wander the city streets!  Just down High Street you can see the 2000 year old Cardiff Castle.  It is simply breathtaking and is surrounded by Bute Park, a gorgeously serene area where everyone goes to wind down, read a book or enjoy a nice picnic lunch.

The shopping here is another top notch experience. All along High Street, you can find yourself meandering through historic arcades, fashionable stores and along Mill Lane, the best in outdoor terrace restaurant dining! The Millennium Stadium is also here, home of the Wales Rugby team and a beautiful landmark resting alongside the River Taff.

Millennium Stadium
Although there is a bus that takes you from City Center to Mermaid Quay, I decided to take a nice morning run along the River Taff bike trail.  Just about 2 miles away, sitting on Cardiff Bay, is none other than the chic, sophisticated and beautiful waterfront, Mermaid Quay.  In the skyline is St David's Hotel, one of the city's most plush hotels, while along the bay, the Mermaid Quay hosts shops, restaurants, bars and cafés all suitable for entertaining my people watching hobby.  This, I have to say was my favorite area of Cardiff.  It's no secret I love the water and anything that is near it!  Mermaid Quay isn't just a beautiful bay, but a host of history, heritage and culture as well, with the Norwegian Church, the Millennium Centre and Pierhead to enjoy.
Mermaid Quay

It was such a gorgeous weekend and I'm so glad to have been able to experience this small bit of beauty in Wales.  Being here made me feel so thankful for my life and relish in the true meaning of Easter, God's gift of not just life, but eternal life.

1 comment: